Ludhiana: Having served as a minister in the SAD-BJP Government holding various portfolios and even representing his party in the Parliament, Sharanjit Singh Dhillon who has used all these portfolios and influence for nurturing Sahnewal constituency, is up against the slogans of change by AAP candidate Harjot Singh Bains and ‘Dhee Punjabi Dee’ call of Satwinder Bitti a Congress candidate.
Dhillon who has chosen development as the plank for assembly polls in the state has an edge over his rivals as both his rival candidates, singer turned politician Bitti and Harjot Bains are first timers and have little to their credit when it comes to the understanding of the needs of the constituency and the work done for the people in the constituency.
Whereas Congress candidate Satwinder Bitti and AAP candidate Harjot Bains have been targeting him accusing his government of its failure to control the drug menace and rather being involved in the drugs trade, Dhillon prefers answering his rivals with the long list of the development works initiated and completed by him and his government.
A law graduate 63 years old Dhillon while talking to The Nation Leader said that he has worked not only for his constituency but for the entire state being entrusted with different responsible positions by the Party High command. He said that his focus has always been on providing better infrastructure, be it roads water supply, sewerage pipe lines or education of the children.He has
distributed grants of `25 crore towards rural development in over a dozen villages in Sahnewal.
His success in getting a Cycle Valley at Dhanansu village to boost industry and also to create employment opportunity in his constituency, construction of a railway over-bridge in Sahnewal and a bridge in Mattewara for reducing traffic congestion goes to the credit of Dhillon and strengthens his claim to victory much against the anti incumbency wave in the state against the SAD-BJP government.
However how successful Dhillon would be in en cashing the development work initiated in his constituency is what only time would tell.
- Development project worth Rs 6.75 crore on Dehlon Road area of Sahnewal,
- Sewerage and water supply development project worth Rs 9.06 crore, Sewerage Treatment Plant project worth Rs 8.35 crore,
- construction of three overhead reservoirs with cost of Rs 1.62 crore,
- Main pumping station with cost of Rs 8.16 crore
- 20 MVA power grid constructed with a cost of Rs 8 crore was inaugurated.
- Rail Over Bridge (ROB) on Sahnewal-Kohara Road, was also completed during the tenure of Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janta Party government.
- Distribution of grants worth Rs 1.5 crore in Dholanwal, Salempur, Kalewal, Haidranhar, Garcha, Bore, Bonkar Gujjran, Selkiana, Sekhewal, Madian Kalan, Madian Khurd and Kulian villages for various development works of these villages.
- Construction of new roads for Noorwala, Sujatwal, Chuharwal and Garhi Sheru villages and Gurdwara Nanaksar were laid today.
- The roads of Mangli Tanda village were repaired at a cost of around Rs 1.75 crore.